During yesterday’s Comics Production session, the students gave brief talks alongside posters they had created for the Comichaus anthology.
This was a project which served as commission, competition and coursework all in one. The indie comics anthology and app presented a brief, with 3 cash prizes, the overall winner’s poster being used by the comic for promotion.
The brief had hints for possible directions to go in, and the one I warmed to was “1950’s/Fallout 4 sort of vibe where a family were all ‘enjoying’ their Comichaus App”.
I like 50s imagery anyway, and so decided to draw a “cosy” picture of a family reading from a tablet. One of the stipulations of the brief was that the tablet had to face out in the poster, as Comichaus plan to have the different publishers involved with the anthology place their covers on the screen.
I sketched out a rough for how the poster would look:
This first rough had an Eagle comic in the corner to denote the timeframe.
I knew I wanted to keep it black and white to reflect the media of the time, with the logos (as provided by Comichaus) giving the colour.
There were plenty of images of families reading, but these all had the books facing away from the viewer. It was better to think of a family looking at a TV screen.
Before drawing a more detailed pencil picture, I looked up some reference for clothing and hairstyles under the terms “1950s boy”, “1950s, girl”, “1950s dad”, “1950s mum”, and got the following:
I then drew the pencilled poster, foregoing the Eagle comic, as it may be confusing – this is a poster for Comichaus and the future of comics, after all:
I left room for the logos and any other text. Then I inked, using brush and regular drawing pens:
Then I added different shades of darkness with black watercolours:
Finally I placed the Comichaus logo at the top and bottom, adding in extra text using information and quotes supplied in the brief. I took the red colour from their logo and used it on this text:
I also decided to put in a line above the tablet – “Featuring: Publisher cover name” where each publisher would put their name in. I saw this as an extra incentive to excite the individual publishers, making them feel further involved.
This was a good project to work on, serving as a taste of real deadlines, working from a brief, explaining your work to the group, and finally having a real chance to have your artwork used and/or win a cash prize!