Once the twelve comic pages have been completed, the next stage is formatting using the InDesign template. I have not used this before, as publishing my own comics I usually put them together in word documents and then send them to Lulu.com, who then print it off and send a proof copy.
For this class, I made a simple contents page – although mine is more of a title page, as the contents of the comic are one story. Instead, I had the story name, my name, course title and new logo…
Then in the template, I had a blank page to maintain the page turn onto the second page of the story revealing the crashed plane. So the template runs : title page (as above), blank page, first page (showing mountains), then page with fuselage, then continues.
For this template I used placeholder images of varying resolution. These will be replaced when it comes to a final print job, especially as I have added spot colour to the skies throughout (another idea discussed with course leader Phil in a one-on-one session/meeting. I had originally planned to do colour on pages 1 and 12).
A final addition to the template is the placing of page numbers at the bottom middle of the pages. Here is an example:
(Despite being the first page of story, this is marked “3” due to the preceding pages.)